THIS IS A WONDERFUL WAY TO SPREAD THE LOVE ON VALENTINE’S DAY. HELP SPREAD THE WORD!
International Book Giving Day 2017
International Book Giving Day takes place on 14th February each year. The aim? To get books into the hands of as many children as possible.
14th February is about sharing the love of books! #bookgivingday
International Book Giving Day is a 100% volunteer initiative aimed at increasing children’s access to and enthusiasm for books.
* Most children in developing countries do not own books.
* In the United Kingdom, one-third of children do not own books.
* In the United States, two-thirds of children living in poverty do not own books.
International Book Giving Day’s focus is on encouraging people worldwide to give a book to a child on February 14th. We invite individuals to:
1) gift a book to a friend or family member,
2) leave a book in a waiting room for children to read
3) donate a gently used book to a local library, hospital or shelter or to an organization that distributes used books to children in need internationally.
In addition, we encourage people to support the work of nonprofit organizations (i.e. charities) that work year round to give books to children, such as Room to Read (international), Books for Africa (international), Book Aid International (international), The Book Bus (international), First Book (U.S.), Reading is Fundamental (U.S.), Reach Out and Read (U.S.), Pratham Books (India), Indigenous Literacy Foundation (Australia), The Footpath Library (Australia), Nal’ibali (South Africa) and Duffy Books in Homes (New Zealand).
International Book Giving Day has continued to grow & grow. In 2014, International Book Giving Day was celebrated by people in Australia, Canada, South Africa, France, India, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, the Philippines, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States, Germany, Nigeria, Nicaragua, Brazil, Egypt, Poland, Greece, Portugal, Mexico, Macedonia, Malawi, Hungary, Malaysia, Israel, Denmark, Thailand, Indonesia, Jordan, China, Puerto Rico and Bulgaria. We hope that people around the world will think about the best ways to help children in need in their communities.
6 Ways You Can Get Involved in International Book Giving Day!
1. Subscribe to our website, join over 11,000 already committed to #bookgivingday.
2. Leave a book for a child to discover, donate to a local charity. Click here for plenty of inspiration!
3. Connect with others celebrating International Book Giving Day via Facebook, Twitter. #bookgivingday
4. Download and print an International Book Giving Day bookplate to attach to a book you give to a kid. They’re free!
5. Share a photo of yourself celebrating International Book Giving Day, use #bookgivingday on social media so we can find you.
6. Invite your community to celebrate International Book Giving Day. Proudly display the #bookgivingday poster.
Emma Perry . email: emperry @ gmail dot com — general enquiries
by Clara Vulliamy
Help spread the word!